Thursday, August 15, 2013

Supplements for popo?

Popo means a lot to me and her health is naturally of top priority. Which is why I choose the best food that I can afford - raw meat, from the supermarket. Of cos, if I was richer, I'll get organic meat, but....I'm poor hahahahahaha! Besides the meat (she's on chicken, pork, lamb, beef, and fish now), I also give her supplements. I know many people give many other supplements like multi-vitamins, salmon oil, kelp powder etc etc, but I can't really afford it now, so here are the few cheaper ones that I'm giving!

Yoghurt

She was already on yoghurt before she came to me. Yoghurt is a probiotic which:

- Enhances the immune system
- Changes the microflora of the gut
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Reduces incidence of yeast infection

I get the cup ones instead of a whole tub, finish 3/4 of it, and spoonfeed popo the rest. She loves it! It's on rotational basis with the next supplement - coconut oil.

Coconut Oil

It's known as "miracle in a jar" and I do somewhat agree. Look at all its benefits!

Clearing skin conditions
- Reduce allergy reactions and improve skin health
- Makes coats sleek and glossy and deodorizes doggy odour 
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Promotes wound healing (when applied)

Aid digestion
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Heals digestive disorders
- Reduce or eliminate bad breath in dogs (OH YES PLEASE!!)

Boost immune system, metabolic functions and bone health
- Prevent infection and disease
- Regulates insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Prevent or control diabetes
- Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
- Reduce risk of cancer and heart disease
- Excellent for brain health
- Provide relief from kidney problems and high blood pressure
- Eliminate ringworm, tapeworm, lice and other parasites

In short, it's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-parasitic!

I started her on this a week before her spay operation in mid-May, as I was afraid of her wound getting infected (read too many horror stories). I don't know if it worked or not, but popo's wound healed fast and beautifully. She didn't even have to wear an e-collar.

During the tick period, I cleaned the bites with coconut oil after I pulled them out. The bites were supposed to itch, but they didn't. =)

I also clean her ears with coconut oil. Haha probably gonna get slammed for doing this. But somehow, it works. Initially I was using the normal chemical ear cleaners bought from the pet shop. Whenever I cleaned, there was dirt. Some people say that the ears do produce dirt naturally, while some have told me that black dirt is a sign of mites. These are their 'output'. They also itched, even when I was cleaning 3-4 times a week. 

Ever since I swopped to coconut oil, never have I found any black dirt inside. I don't remember seeing them itch either. I now clean them only once a week, before her bath. Cos you know what, oil repels water! Less chance of water getting into the ears. And early this month, her ears were checked and pronounced nice and healthy! ^^

ACV

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) was one of the earliest supplements I gave to her. Supposedly it has quite a bit of benefits. 

- Relieves or prevents arthritis
- Improves digestion
- Acts as a urinary system tonic, clears urinary tract infections, and prevents the formation of kidney and bladder stones
- Improves the growth and condition of fur and hair
- Clears the skin of bacterial and fungal infections
- Reduces skin flaking and dander
- Makes one less attractive to biting insects
- Helps prevent food poisoning
- Acts as a natural antibiotic by interrupting the development of infectious bacterial and viral diseases
- Relieves muscle fatigue
- Alleviates itching
- Improves ability to adapt to cold temperatures
- Reduces hock and elbow calluses
- When applied to the ears, clears and prevents ear infections.

My initial purpose of giving her the ACV was to reduce her tear stains. Lots of people have recommended this home remedy, but obviously it isn't working very well for me. Or her. Although I could think of some reasons why it isn't working. Firstly, I don't give it everyday. Because it's mixed in her food and when my mum feeds her instead of me, she gets no ACV. Secondly, majority of the people recommend mixing it into their water bowl. I add it to her food instead. Raw fed dogs generally drink lesser water than kibble-fed. So I don't see why I should add it to the water when it'll get replaced very soon. 

I do still add it whenever I get the chance, because it's said to be able to eliminate bacteria as well. Makes the raw meat a little safer. Even though I also reiki her food to prevent contamination. Haha pampered bitch anot you say lah! >.<

Garlic

I started this fairly recently. Similarly, she doesn't get this every day, only when I'm feeding her. Before you go "OMG NOOOOOOO", yes yes I know, garlic is toxic to dogs. But of course, only in huge quantities. In safe amounts, it's supposedly:

- Anti-bacterial
- Anti-biotic (broad spectrum)
- Anti-carcinogen, garlic contains germanium - an anti-cancer agent
- Regulates blood pressure
- Helps strengthen the body's defenses against allergies
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- High in calcium, potassium, zinc, protein, and Vitamins A, B, B2, C
- Aids in fighting and treating diabetes, liver, heart and kidney disease, as well as ear infections and ear mite infestations
- A natural de-wormer and flea, tick, mosquito repellent

Many people have told me to try this method to prevent ticks. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Either way, she isn't having ticks now (touchwood!). And if it works, I get free heartworm (mosquito) prevention too. :)

The other supplement I would really really wanna try is the salmon oil. It's supposedly great for the skin/coat and I was hoping it'll help her bald patches grow back (which I still don't know the exact cause of it yet). But good ones are not cheap. Can anyone sponsor me? LOL. So I make do with fresh cooked salmon instead. So.Freaking.Expensive. Sigh. 

So, how is it? Too much too little? Good, bad, harmful? What are you feeding yours?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...